Do you prefer your muffin savory or sweet? Whatever your preferences, we have got you all covered. Treat your sweet tooth with these delicious easy to make muffins which make an excellent healthy snack for kids and adults alike. Besides, you can carry them to work or party or picnic without much hassle. Let’s check out this easy basic muffin recipe that you should know well.
Learn The Basic Muffin Method
The muffin mixing method or the muffin method denotes a standard way of mixing all the ingredients in a specific order. (This procedure is used in almost all of the quick bread recipes.) For making muffins, whisk all the dry ingredients in a large bowl, and combine all the wet ingredients in a separate bowl before mixing dry and wet ingredients together. This method requires you to gently add wet mixture to the dry ingredients and not another way around. Once you combine both mixtures, you have to mix them instantly and efficiently. This helps in avoiding the formation of gluten in the batter as too much gluten takes away softness from the muffins. You can always add mix-ins like fruits, nuts, chocolate chips, or cheese. This batter has the capacity to hold 1 to 1 and a ½ cup of mix-ins.
- Cooking spray/ paper muffin liners
- 1 ¼ cups milk
- 2 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- ¼ tsp fine salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- A ½ cup of vegetable oil
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 to 1 ½ cups of mix-ins such as blueberries, chocolate chips or dried and chopped fresh fruit or grated cheese
For the streusel toppings: (optional)
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp fine salt
- 4 tsp fine salt
- 2 Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Wooden spoon or rubber spatula
- Cupcake/ muffin pan with 12 muffin slots
Method Of Preparation
- Prepare the muffin pan by spraying cooking spray or lining with paper liners and place in the center of the oven. Heat the oven at 375ºF.
- Whisk the sugar, flour, baking powder along with salt in a big bowl and set aside.
- Mix oil, egg, milk, and vanilla extract together in a separate bowl until adequately combined.
- Pour the wet mixture in dry ingredients gently, little at a time, and mix with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon until neatly combined.
- Add and fold your mix-ins gently until they are evenly distributed.
- Fill the batter in the prepared cupcake/muffin slots, about 1/3 cup per slot. Bake muffins until they turn golden brown for 20 mins or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Muffins can stay fresh in airtight containers at average room temperature for 5 days. You can also freeze and thaw them later at room temperature. But this can take away the tempting savory flavor from them. Hence, it’s always better to enjoy them when fresh.